Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day one as a "Wing man"


The first day was chaotic but fun. I didn't get to see a whole lot of the city or the ride itself as I was posted at a firestation 5 hours prior to the cyclists getting there. It was fun though and a little comforting to know that no matter what state you are in...all firemen are the same. I mean this in a good way! The guys at Perth Amboy were hospitable and fun to hang with. I met some really neat people and got to hear some stories from some of the other wingmen and riders and why they are here this year and who they are riding for. I hope tomorrow is not as crazy as today and more organized...but as usual I'll just roll with it. LOL! I'm excited to be a part of this ride and am so grateful to all the riders, especially Susan and Mark for riding for Steph and the other two crew members of PHI crew 12.

As a side note (those of you who have been in the passenger seat while I'm driving the ambulance can identifiy most with this) I made it through my first day without curb checking Mark's big ass truck or trailer!!! I also didn't hit any fire hydrants or any other fire aparatus. I have, however, fallen out of the truck a few times. Mark one word...sidesteps!!!

That's all for now...I'm exhausted!

3 comments:

Bill Needles said...

You guys be safe and have fun. I'll follow you online like I did last year

Central Texas Paramedic Cycle Team said...

I miss you guys so much!!! One day down, six to go!! Just wait, Skyland Drive is around the corner....!!!

Unknown said...

Mark and Susan,

I hope you are experiencing beautiful weather and lots of down hill slopes. I wish I could be there with you...unfortunately a stay in the hospital has kept me stuck here in Maine. I am looking forward to checking out the new design on my jersey when Carl and Rod bring it back. I am praying for you all. Be safe, and may Eric and Stephanie help push you up Skyline Drive! Thank you for your honor, strength, and courage. You guys are amazing!

Blaine Rackliff